[squid-users] IE8-10, Flash videos don't play until buffering finishes

From: Andrew Tate <c.andrew.tate_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2014 15:33:11 -0500

Hey there,

We've been trying to determine the cause (and potentially a fix) for
an issue we're seeing with Vimeo videos.

Issue: When trying to play back Vimeo videos through a network setup
with a Squid proxy, after clicking play, the video begins buffering,
but does not start playback until the video has been 100% buffered. In
other browsers (and the correct action should be) the video will start
playing back after buffering for only a few seconds.

In IE8-10, Vimeo is serving Flash video. When playing a YouTube Flash
video in IE the error does not occur. When playing a Vimeo Flash video
in Firefox the error does not occur. Therefore I believe the issue is
either in the way Vimeo is serving the video file, or in the way IE is
trying to load the content.

Just wondering if there's anything about the Squid proxy setup that
could be defaulting videos to wait for the buffer to finish? In all
instances the proper URLs have even been whitelisted to allow the
traffic through, but the issue still persists. Would just love to know
if there's anything either side can adjust to get playback starting
earlier in IE!

Thanks!