Re: [squid-users] adaptation_serve,icap_service, reqmod_precache and respmod_precache

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 08 Feb 2014 18:03:11 +1300

On 8/02/2014 3:39 a.m., Scott Mayo wrote:
> Could someone give me a breakdown of how these work? I have read on
> the squid configuration, but want to make sure I am understanding them
> correctly. The reading was a bit over my head.
>
> I was setting up qlproxy and trying to completely understand them.
>
> Here is what is in that config:
> icap_service qlproxy1 reqmod_precache bypass=0 icap://127.0.0.1:1344/reqmod
> icap_service qlproxy2 respmod_precache bypass=0 icap://127.0.0.1:1344/respmod
> acl qlproxy_icap_edomains dstdomain
> "/etc/opt/quintolabs/qlproxy/squid/icap_exclusions_domains.conf"
> acl qlproxy_icap_etypes rep_mime_type
> "/etc/opt/quintolabs/qlproxy/squid/icap_exclusions_contenttypes.conf"
> adaptation_access qlproxy1 deny qlproxy_icap_edomains
> adaptation_access qlproxy2 deny qlproxy_icap_edomains
> adaptation_access qlproxy2 deny qlproxy_icap_etypes
> adaptation_access qlproxy1 allow all
> adaptation_access qlproxy2 allow all
>
> I know lines 3 and 4 are just the list of flat text domains and such.
>
> I assume the adaptation_access means to use icap service instead of
> Squid doing the acl?

No. adaptation_access is whether the request or response being processed
may go through adaptation at all (ICAP in this setup).

> I guess reqmod is the request for something and respmod is the
> response.

No.

 - REQMOD indicates the service is adapting/modifing HTTP requests.

 - RESPMOD indicates the service is adapting/modifing HTTP responses.

 - PRECACHE indicates the adaptation/modification is done before the
Squid cache becomes involved.

So,

* reqmod_precache modifies requests before looking up in the Squid cache.

* respmod_precache modifies MISS responses before storing them in the
Squid cache.

> Why are the edomains blocked on both qlproxy1 and qlproxy2
> and the mimes are only blocked on qlproxy2? I would just like a
> simple broken down version of what those first tow icap_service lines
> actually do I guess and maybe that will help me totally understand.

You will have to ask quintos about that specific. Probably they are
domains where modification of the content or even receiving the traffic
through the ICAP service will cause problems.

Amos