Re: [squid-users] Re: Still having some slowness

From: Scott Mayo <scotgmayo_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 11:34:45 -0600

On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 10:32 AM, Scott Mayo <scotgmayo_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 10:10 AM, babajaga <augustus_meyer_at_yahoo.de> wrote:
>> Any special messages in cache.log ?
>

> Yes, finally got back to my office to check logs.
>
> The main thing I see which may be the problem is:
>
> client_side.cc oktoAccept: WARNING! Your cache is running out of
> filedescriptors
>
> I'll see what I can find on that error.

Want to make sure of this before I change anything. RIght now a
squidclient mgr:info | grep 'file descri" shows:
Maximum number of file desciprtors: 1024
Available number of file descriptors: 204
Reserved number of file descriptors: 100

If I edit my /etc/security/limts.conf to change the file descriptors,
any certain number I should bump it up to? 4000, 8,000, 10,000,
16,000?

I then should stop squid, put in max_filedesc ##### (whatever number I
set above I assume)
and restart squid.

Looks like squid was compiled with"--with-filedescriptors=16384" If
that is the case and the default is max_filedesc 0 which takes
whatever the machine is set to, then I assume I don't need to change
anythign in squid?

Thanks.

--
Scott Mayo
------------------------------------
Assuming, you are logged in as root, the simplest is to edit
/etc/init.d/squid and insert
ulimit -n 4096
before the actual start comd for squid.
Then restart squid, and the new limit should be effective.
This also will be a permanent solution, surviving a new boot.
Just got that response, but had arleady edited the limits.conf file
and set the descriptoers to 8192 and restarted squid and now I am
showing:
Maximum number of file desciprtors:  8192
Available number of file descriptors:  7958
Reserved number of file descriptors:  100
Hopefully that will take care of that error and I will go from there.
Thanks.
Scott