Re: [squid-users] Re: Still having some slowness

From: Scott Mayo <scotgmayo_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 11:54:23 -0600

On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 11:34 AM, Scott Mayo <scotgmayo_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 10:32 AM, Scott Mayo <scotgmayo_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 10:10 AM, babajaga <augustus_meyer_at_yahoo.de> wrote:
>>> Any special messages in cache.log ?
>>

>> Yes, finally got back to my office to check logs.
>>
>> The main thing I see which may be the problem is:
>>
>> client_side.cc oktoAccept: WARNING! Your cache is running out of
>> filedescriptors
>>
>> I'll see what I can find on that error.
>
> Want to make sure of this before I change anything. RIght now a
> squidclient mgr:info | grep 'file descri" shows:
> Maximum number of file desciprtors: 1024
> Available number of file descriptors: 204
> Reserved number of file descriptors: 100
>
> If I edit my /etc/security/limts.conf to change the file descriptors,
> any certain number I should bump it up to? 4000, 8,000, 10,000,
> 16,000?
>
> I then should stop squid, put in max_filedesc ##### (whatever number I
> set above I assume)
> and restart squid.
>
> Looks like squid was compiled with"--with-filedescriptors=16384" If
> that is the case and the default is max_filedesc 0 which takes
> whatever the machine is set to, then I assume I don't need to change
> anythign in squid?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Scott Mayo
>
> ------------------------------------
> Assuming, you are logged in as root, the simplest is to edit
> /etc/init.d/squid and insert
>
> ulimit -n 4096
>
> before the actual start comd for squid.
>
> Then restart squid, and the new limit should be effective.
>
> This also will be a permanent solution, surviving a new boot.
>
> Just got that response, but had arleady edited the limits.conf file
> and set the descriptoers to 8192 and restarted squid and now I am
> showing:
>
> Maximum number of file desciprtors: 8192
> Available number of file descriptors: 7958
> Reserved number of file descriptors: 100
>
> Hopefully that will take care of that error and I will go from there.
>
> Thanks.
> Scott

Interesting. After making that change, I now have one of the CPUs
that uses about 60% constantly. It switches CPUs some and sometimes
splits the 60% between a couple of them. Also using about another 1GB
of memory.

I may cut the 8192 back to 4096 and see what happens. Going to watch
it for a while this way though to see if the error has completely gone
away.

--
Scott Mayo