Re: [squid-users] Re: Unbalaned Cpu cores with squid 3.4.3 with centos 6.4 64 bit

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 14:33:10 -0700

On 02/15/2014 04:54 AM, Dr.x wrote:
> hi alex ,
> [root_at_squid ~]# egrep 'cpu cores|physical id' /proc/cpuinfo | sort -u
> cpu cores : 6
> physical id : 0
> physical id : 1

AFAICT, you have 12 physical CPU cores spread across two CPUs. Be
careful when using virtual CPU cores that share the same physical core.

> what i was meaning is that low byte ratio !!!!!
> low bandwidth saving ??!!!!
>
> when using noraml squid 1 instaned with 3 hardsisk each with 90 giga ,
> i was saving about 30-40Mbps
>
> now
> with same load and same users and same BW
> im only saving about 10-12Mbps !!!!!!
>
> that wt i was meaning .

Does your SMP Squid has 3 90GB Rock cache_dirs? Or did you switch from a
shared 3*90GB cache to three non-shared ones? Some of your emails
mention Rock, some aufs, so it is difficult to say what is going on in
this particular comparison.

Please note that 32KB Rock limit in stable Squid releases ought to
decrease byte hit ratio in a typical deployment environment. There is no
way around that. Large Rock removes that limit in Squid trunk.

> the question is frequently being asked.
>
> how i implement sauqid so that it handle more requests (SMP) and make more
> bandwith saving??
> i think the biggest problem of smp is that shared issue which limitation in
> memeory and rock store to 32 KB

I hesitate answering such questions because the correct answer depends
on your environment. Some admins would be better off with running Squid
trunk, some with load-balancing a few Squids using CARP, some with
implementing the features they miss, some with purchasing BlueCoat,
etc., etc.

> why all the new efforts of squid go to increase the shared memory and shared
> objects to about 1M ???

There are many concurrent Squid projects, going in several orthogonal
directions. I am not aware of any project or even a bugzilla feature
request that is focused on efficiently caching 1MB objects (is that what
you are asking for?), but that would definitely be a useful project:

http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/AboutSquid#How_to_add_a_new_Squid_feature.2C_enhance.2C_of_fix_something.3F

Cheers,

Alex.