[squid-users] Re: Automatic StoreID ?

From: babajaga <augustus_meyer_at_yahoo.de>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2014 23:50:02 -0700 (PDT)

>This is how Rock store does it, essentially: Rock store index does not
store the real location of the object on disk but computes it based on
the hash value.<
Sorry, then I misunderstood something, when reading some rock-code while
ago.
For me, in essence, it looked like, that for caching an object, rock picks
one (or multiple, for large-rock) of the available "slots" for storage, and
keeps the mapping hash-slot in the memory table. So, on restart, squid has
to scan all slots from disk, to rebuild the table.
Which means, the mapping URL-hash -> slot_# is _not_ fixed (predictable).

>> Positive consequence: No rebuild of the in-memory-table necessary, as
>> there
>> is none. Avoids the time-comsuning rebuild of rock-storage-table from
>> disk.
>If you do not build the index,
>you have to do a disk I/O to fetch the first slot of the candidate
>object on _every_ request.
Not necessarily to do a disk I/O, but to do an I/O. Still, underlying
OS-buffering/blocking is happening.
Besides, for a HIT you have to do the I/O anyway.
So, the amount of "unnecessary disk-I/Os" would be the (squid-MISSes - not
in OS/buffers residing disk-blocks).
Which leads to a good compromise: Direct hashing would allow the slow
population of the optional translation-table.