Re: [squid-users] Issues with Opensuse12.3 with squid

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2014 10:11:40 +1300

On 2014-03-26 06:08, Oluseyi Akinboboye wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am using a Opensuse12.3 with squid as a gateway & squid though its
> not transparent! I would like to know how to do the following
> 1. Allow the following port have access in the network; ports 25, 110,
> 465, 995 and other specific ports required for specific mail servers
> to work.

Two problems with this.

1) Squid is an HTTP proxy not an email server.

2) Opening these ports in any way through Squid turns it into an "open
proxy" and permits spamming or other email abuse through your server.

> 2. The squid seems to slow down after a few hours on the job; although
> there are a few clients on transparent and a few on non-transparent
> proxies here! Is there any script or such that will make the squid box
> refresh itself every few hours or so?

What? please define "slow".

> 3. The clients who are not using the proxy are doing so due to the
> fact that they won’t be able to pull and or push their emails due to
> firewall restrictions from the squid!

Squid is not a firewall.

Check the actual firewall settings on the box Squid is running on.
Perhapse that is what is getting in their way.

> 4. After a few days can we release the contents of the squid so as not
> to have a filled up squid?

What contents and why?

Amos