Re: [squid-users] how to dynamically reconfigure squid?

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2014 17:30:24 +1300

On 5/04/2014 10:55 a.m., Rafael Akchurin wrote:
> Hi Waldemar,
>
> Offload filtering to external ICAP server that can be dynamically
> (re)configured to allow/block based on users authentication/IPs? In
> that case teacher adjusted the ICAP server's config, leaving Squid's
> configuration intact. New requests through the same connections are
> blocked after "switch".

The same thing applies to Squid with a reconfigure. All *new* requests
are blocked but existing ones are completed.

> Raf

HTTPS and SPDY is becoming more of a problem since popular websites are
moving to use it and CONNECT tunnels wrap the entire session in HTTP as
a single request.

> What do you think? What might be a solution to this problem? I can't
> restart squid when changing the ACL rules, because then all users in
> the network would be disconnected.

You could set the request_timeout to be short. This would make the
CONNECT requests terminate after a few minutes.

You could also use SSL-bump feature in Squid. This has a double benefit
of allowing the control software acting on the HTTPS requests and
preventing SPDY etc. being used by the browser.

Amos