[squid-users] Squid brought down by hundreds of HEAD request to itself

From: nodje <nodje.co_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2014 09:32:26 +0800

The Squid instance is started in the morning and stopped at night.

It is daily brought down by what I call "hundreds of HEAD request to
itself".

There's no fixed pattern for the problem.

Sometimes Squid keep working OK with hundreds of those requests,
sometime it just becomes very unresponsive.

Here's what the request look like with my logformat:

09/Apr/2014:17:41:02] 192.168.0.2 TCP_MISS:DEFAULT_PARENT 504 "HEAD
http://192.168.0.2:3128/ HTTP/1.0" Size:333 Ref:"-" Agent:"-"

Squid's server IP is 192.168.0.2, so it's like the server itself
requesting the proxy.
There's nothing running on the same server that I know of that would
access the proxy.

Where a HEAD request like that could come from?

Addional info: the size is always 333 during runtime, but when I do a
restart, when Squid is stopping then I see much higher numbers, in the
thousands first then quickly up until ~20000, then it stops and restarts
and the pattern dissapears for a couple hours.

Any idea of what could cause this to happen?

Windows 7 running SQUID 2.7.STABLE8

cheers
-nodje