[squid-users] Re: Cache Windows Updates ONLY

From: babajaga <augustus_meyer_at_yahoo.de>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2014 21:15:15 -0700 (PDT)

>The server won't deliver the file unless the tokens are in place.
Whenever a file is fetched, it appears to be the same irrespective of
the tokens. I will carry out more research based on checksums of
multiple files to make sure. <
I very doubt ".... to be the same ..." . Because this would not make sense.
youtube does something similar for their videos, and there the tokens
contain add info like resolution of the movie, as it is distributed in
different ones. Depending upon actual connection speed, for instance.

So, the only reason to have "random" tokens in your case would be to confuse
the caches, which I doubt. OR it might signal some info regarding the size
of the range requests. Then it would be safe to ignore the tokens, as you
are considering, as the complete file will be cached within squid, and the
different ranges serviced from there. (Note: This is something, youtube did
some time ago. )
So you might test with different connections speeds, too.