Re: [squid-users] Fwd: Squid and large object

From: Nick Hill <nick_at_nickhill.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2014 11:17:09 +0100

Hi Bjorn

in my experience,, normal squid behaviour is to deliver the file
whilst squid downloads the file.

It is not normal behaviour for Squid to deliver the file only after
the download has completed.

You may want to create a test case to isolate if the effect is linked
to behaviour from the client or up-stream server.

I created a test case yesterday to check squid as follows:

Place a file on some other server on other side of internet connection
large enough to observe download times.

wget "http://download_data"
Locally run wget -e use_proxy=yes -e http_proxy=127.0.0.1:3128
"http://download_data"
Compare results, check access.log and cache.log files. Of course
change http://download_data and the proxy details to your squid.

Conjecture includes does client make range requests, does upstream
server accept range requests, are there squid settings such as
range_offset_limit
to change range request behaviour?