[squid-users] strange "running out of filedescriptors" problem on MacOSX

From: Ambrose LI <ambrose.li_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2014 01:58:20 -0400

Hi,

does anyone know what would cause squid 3.3.12 to run out of
filedescriptors on MacOS X?

My squid often runs out of file descriptors shortly (e.g., 5 minutes)
after startup when my laptop is at home. Traffic is minimal. If this
happens and I do a squid -k reconfigure, squid dies with a “FATAL:
dying from an unhandled exception: IsConnOpen(conn)” but then
continues to restart itself. After this restart squid would run
normally (no more file descriptor problems) until I shut down the
machine.

This seems to be a MacOSX-specific problem. I have never seen this
happen on my other squid, which runs on Linux.

My other observation would be that when I am not at home this does not
seem to happen. So one possible cause might be that a netdb exchange
failure (endianness mismatch) would cause squid to run out of file
descriptors. Does anyone know if this might be possible, or recognize
what would cause squid to run out of file descriptors shortly after
startup? Thanks very much.

--
cheers,
-ambrose <http://gniw.ca>