Re: [squid-users] strange "running out of filedescriptors" problem on MacOSX

From: Kinkie <gkinkie_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2014 22:45:32 +0200

On Sat, Apr 26, 2014 at 7:58 AM, Ambrose LI <ambrose.li_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> does anyone know what would cause squid 3.3.12 to run out of
> filedescriptors on MacOS X?

Hi Ambrose,
  I guess you are leaking filedescriptors.
A clue why it happens may be in the cachemgr.
Does your build include the "squidclient" binary? It can be used to
directly acccess the cachemanager interface
squidclient -U <useername> -P <the password set in cachemgr_passwd
option> mgr:filedescriptors

should do the trick: that tool includes a description of what the
filedescriptor is being used for.

> This seems to be a MacOSX-specific problem. I have never seen this
> happen on my other squid, which runs on Linux.

I am currently trying to build a squid for MacOS; I am not
successfully able to build rock store. Are you able to? Would you mind
sharing what options and environment you are using? Thanks!

> My other observation would be that when I am not at home this does not
> seem to happen. So one possible cause might be that a netdb exchange
> failure (endianness mismatch) would cause squid to run out of file
> descriptors. Does anyone know if this might be possible, or recognize
> what would cause squid to run out of file descriptors shortly after
> startup? Thanks very much.

Seems unlikely. Let's first get the facts out of cachemgr, then we can
speculate on the causes :)

--
    Kinkie