Re: [squid-users] strange "running out of filedescriptors" problem on MacOSX

From: Ambrose LI <ambrose.li_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2014 19:01:03 -0400

Hi,

> I guess you are leaking filedescriptors.
> A clue why it happens may be in the cachemgr.
> Does your build include the "squidclient" binary? It can be used to
> directly acccess the cachemanager interface
> squidclient -U <useername> -P <the password set in cachemgr_passwd
> option> mgr:filedescriptors
[...]
> Let's first get the facts out of cachemgr, then we can
> speculate on the causes :)

I spent maybe an hour trying to get the info. No definitive answers
yet, but what's happening seems to be even weirder than I thought:

- gdb'ing the squid process (just an attach an a continue, nothing
else done) when this happens seem to make squid return to normal

- squidclient mgr:filedescriptors just returns an error message:

Assertion failed: (false), function GetAddrInfo, file Address.cc, line 689.
assert "false" at line 689
Ip::Address invalid? with IsIPv4()=F, IsIPv6()=T
ADDRESS: 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1
/usr/local/sbin/ls-squid-filedesciptors: line 1: 4015 Abort trap: 6

- gdb'ing squidclient seems to also cause squid to return to normal

- cachemgr.cgi seems to eventually work, but when the listing is
returned squid has already magically returned to normal

I'm going to restart my Mac later when I can just let squid freeze
until the next morning. I'll see if squid actually will unfreeze
itself over the night or I'll get anything out of the file descriptor
listing.

--
cheers,
-ambrose <http://gniw.ca>