RE: [squid-users] Squid 3.4.5 is available

From: Martin Sperl <Martin.Sperl_at_amdocs.com>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2014 14:09:02 +0000

Hi Amos!

Does this mean that squid 3.4.4 is no longer supported on
RedHat Enterprise/Centos 5 (ships with autoconf 2.59)?
RHEL 6 comes with exactly 2.63, so any future update will
mean that RHEL6 may also become unsupported as well.

Just tracking upstream "authconf" is bound to produce similar
pains that I have already experienced with RRDTool on RH3,
RH4, RH5 systems.

I assume that the tar-balls will still get delivered with the
./configure files, so the "direct" need of autoconf versions
 may be less important for lots of people just compiling.
But it still may break at some point resulting in unexpected
behavior - probably during a really important bug-fix
release...

So I wonder if it is really a wise move to potentially cut off
people from security patches because they can no longer
compile squid on the system they want to use it on just
due to the build-tool dependencies.

Is there maybe a plan not to change build-tool versions
within a minor version (3.4, 3.5, ...) to somewhat avoid
such issues?

Thanks,
        Martin