[squid-users] Advise about cache store in SMP mode, single disk

From: <fernando_at_lozano.eti.br>
Date: Thu, 08 May 2014 15:29:26 -0300

Hi there,

I have a server configured to run in SMP mode with two cache stores: a
shared rock store and a dedicated aufs store for each worker. But I have
only one physical disk (actually a hardware raid).

My preliminary tests show that having the shared rock store brings
better response times than having only the aufs stores. But, as I still
have some disk contention between workers, I wonder if I should replace
the aufs stores by a diskd one.

Squid docs are not clear about how diskd is supposed to work in a SMP
setup: will I get only one diskd process, and so eliminate the disk
contention from aufs stores? Or will squid start a diskd daemon for each
worker?

I also guess building a CARP setup wound not be so benefical because
there would be still many workers competing for the same physical disk.

[]s, Fernando Lozano