Re: [squid-users] Consultant needed

From: Antony Stone <Antony.Stone_at_squid.open.source.it>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 16:27:27 +0200

On Wednesday 18 June 2014 at 16:05:44, Gregory Morse wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I'm in need of a Squid consultant for an ASAP project. If you're
> interested and can help read on. Thanks.
>
> My app, Just Ahead, turns your smartphone (iPhone or Android) into an
> audio tour guide to the world. You drive around in your car and it
> narrates an audio tour as you drive. As you can imagine a product like
> this needs to locally cache our audio files, because many interesting
> places you want to visit don't have Internet access.

I'm puzzled by the term "locally" here. How is the phone getting the content?
Over a GSM/3G/etc mobile link? Or a wireless LAN?

If it's a wireless LAN on the premises being visited, then it sounds to me
like a local web server (which syncs its content from some upstream master)
would be a better bet for you than a caching proxy.

> These files reside in a zip file and are currently served off an Amazon S3 HTTP
> URL.
>
> I'd like to use squid to cache a local copy of this file, so that we
> don't need to download multiple copies of this file over the extremely
> slow/bad/limited internet connection available to me.

Well, that should be pretty trivial, really, and for the next requirement, you
"just" need to implement a transparent proxy intercept.

> Also, I'd like for users to take advantage of this capability without
> manually configuring a proxy in their Internet settings.

I'm still puzzled about the connection being used by the mobile device, though
- you said "you drive around in your car and it narrates an audio tour as you
drive", which to me strongly suggests you're using the mobile data
connectivity of the phone, not an 802.11 wireless network - therefore where
are you going to put your proxy in the path between the mobile device and the
server?

> I need a Squid admin to help me with this. The additional complexity
> of this is that I'm using Mac OS X server, using Squidman. I can
> handle the Mac OS X admin, but I need someone with squid experience to
> troubleshoot a few errors I'm seeing. This is an ASAP project.

It sounds interesting - good luck with it :)

Regards,

Antony.

--
There are two possible outcomes:
 If the result confirms the hypothesis, then you've made a measurement.