Re: [squid-users] Forcing objects into the Squid Cache

From: Eliezer Croitoru <eliezer_at_ngtech.co.il>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2014 04:34:49 +0300

Hey There,

With squid being a cache proxy there is a different approach between
version 2.X to 3.2+ branches.
One of the main things with it is that it will prefer Data integrity on
cachability of the object.
This is due to the fact that there were many cases which squid was
involved that the "over-caching" that was defined by the admin was
causing issues for users to get their content and admins to guaranty it.

If it's a reverse proxy that you need it for you should change the
origin server to just work with basic content validation 304 method and
it will just out of the box will allow you what you need using a
pre-fetch helper\script that will run from time to time on the reverse
proxy or another machine.

In a case of forward proxy that the origin server is not in your hands
you should verify the specific cases to verify if it's doable.
Note that there are cases which the origin server dosn't want to be
cache friendly or maintains it's own cache\cdn by which you will not be
able to control and influence.
In specific cases you might consider a specific solution design just for
that.
In many cases it will be worth it.

If you need my help don't hesitate to ask more.

Eliezer