Re: [squid-users] Proxy traversal query

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2014 19:29:42 -0600

On 07/02/2014 11:15 AM, Vinay C wrote:

> Query1: I want to ensure my program works for most of the enterprise
> proxy servers. Given that it can establish a connection via squid, is
> it safe to assume that it is going to work with all the proxy server
> like Microsoft TMG, Bluecoat etc?

No, it is not "safe" IMO, especially when authentication is in play,
especially for NTLM and Negotiate/Kerberos. Yes, it is all based on the
same set of RFCs and similar documents, but I am personally not very
enthusiastic about just relying on RFCs when it comes to real-world
compatibility. I am probably biased because we have to deal with various
incompatibilities very often when testing proxy compliance and performance.

> Query2: In case I should test my program to be working with different
> proxy server then for enterprise world which of the proxy server would
> you like to suggest to have the best coverage.

If you test with Squid and Bluecoat, you might cover most but certainly
not the vast majority of all enterprise setups today. Sorry, I cannot
offer any hard statistics to prove this speculation (unfortunately).

Thank you,

Alex.