Re: [squid-users] Passing Information up to the eCap adapter

From: Antony Stone <Antony.Stone_at_squid.open.source.it>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2014 12:46:34 +0200

On Thursday 10 July 2014 at 12:34:37, Jatin Bhasin wrote:

> Hello,
>
> As I understand currently squid can send client IP address up to the eCap
> adapter using squid configuration directive *adaptation_send_client_ip.*
>
> I needed more information in my eCap adapter so I changed the squid source
> code to be able to send *Client Port, Destination Address and Destination
> port* to the eCap adapter.
>
> But now my requirement is to be able to pass *source MAC address and
> destination MAC address* as well to the eCap adapter. But I am not able to
> understand how I can do it.

What do you mean by destination MAC address?

So long as you're aware that this will be the MAC address of the Squid proxy,
and not the MAC address of the server with the destination IP address, okay,
but there's no way for a machine to find out the MAC address of another machine
which is not on its own local subnet.

That said, I'd be slightly surprised if Squid even knows the MAC addresses
(they're likely to be stripped off by the networking stack shortly before it
passes the IP packet to Squid), however I'm happy to be corrected on this by
someone more familir with its internals than I am.

Regards,

Antony.

--
Normal people think "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".
Engineers think "If it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet".