Re: [squid-users] Blocking spesific url

From: Alexandre <arekkusu.bug_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2014 14:04:05 +0200

I imagine it is not cached because you either don't have caching enabled
or the size of the video is larger than the maximum object cache size.
This is defined in "maximum_object_size" (default is 4MB). Increasing
this for everything will obviously have some impact.

I don't know if you can force squid to cache a particular content (?)

Concerning blocking the specific URL. Someone correct me if I am wrong
but I don't believe you can not do this with only squid.
The squid ACL system can apparently block per domain:
http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/SquidAcl

What I recommend is to look into a url rewriting (ie. filtering).
Squidguard is the one I use and is quite popular.
Essentially you install squidguard and setup the config file to the
filtering according to your blacklist / whitelist.

* http://www.squidguard.org/

Then you need to define squidguard in your squid config as url rewritter:

/----
url_rewrite_program /usr/bin/squidGuard/

----
Obviously this is a bit of work for just one URL but if you think you
will need to block more URL in the future it is the way to go IMO.
Squidguard has  some performance overhead but I believe it is small even
with fairly large list.
Alexandre