Re: [squid-users] Re: YouTube Resolution Locker

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2014 21:06:05 +1200

On 26/07/2014 8:36 p.m., Stakres wrote:
> HI Amm,
>
> Everyone is free to modify the script (client side) by sending YouTube urls
> only, no need to send all the Squid traffic.
> Then, we collect nothing, the requests are reviewed by the script and it
> returns modified urls to lock the YouTube resolutions.
> We do not make any statistics, we do not share data with internal or
> external teams.
>
> We're not "new to programming" and we DO realize security and privacy
> issues, you're free to use the API or not, we force nobody.
> Everyone is free to spend time for developing a similar function or use ours
> for a quick solution.
>
> The "one small function"is for free to all, we spent time to develop this
> API and we're a commercial company. So, do you work for free ? we do not.
> If you are interested by the complete API, no problem just contact us and
> I'm sure we will find an arrangement
>
> No problem for the No offence, all comments are welcome.
>
> PS: Sorry for being off-topic on squid mailing list, too.
>
> Bye Fred

It would be better practice to publish a script which is pre-restricted
to the YT URLs which your server is useful for and your initial
advertisement stated its purpose was.

That would protect your servers from excessive bandwidth from naive
administrators, help to offer better security by default, and protect
your company from this type of complaint and any future legal
accusations that may arise from naive use of the script.

Amos