Re: Fwd: [squid-users] Request Entity Too Large Error in Squid Reverse Proxy

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2014 21:43:45 +1200

On 14/08/2014 1:09 a.m., Robert Cicerelli wrote:
> On 8/13/2014 7:22 AM, Amos Jeffries wrote:
>> On 13/08/2014 10:29 p.m., Robert Cicerelli wrote:
>>> Can anyone offer some help on this?
>>>
>>> I'm having a problem that just started after I implemented squid reverse
>>> proxy. I have a couple of applications on one of the apache servers
>>> behind the reverse proxy. Every time someone tries to upload relatively
>>> large files to the application (7 MB, 30 MB), they get the following
>>> error:
>>>
>>> Request Entity Too Large
>>>
>>> If I try to perform the same operation without going through the squid
>>> reverse proxy, the uploads work with no problems.
>>>
>>> I'm using proxy 3.1.20
>>> <https://github.com/pfsense/pfsense-packages/commits/master/config/31>
>>> on pfsense. I tried posting this issue on the pfsense support forums and
>>> I have gotten zero replies so I'm trying the squid mailing list. The
>>> situation has become a big problem so I would appreciate some help on
>>> this.
>>>
>>> A few parameters I've adjusted to various values with no success:
>>>
>>> Minimum object size
>>> Maximum object size
>>> Memory cache size
>>> Maximum download size
>>> Maximum upload size
>>>
>>> Thanks a lot
>>>
>> Can you provide a sample of the request HTTP headers being sent to Squid
>> for one of these failed uploads?
>>
>> Amos
>>

> I hope this is what you are looking for:

Almost, I am looking also for the request-line portion. Which contains
method and URL. There is significant difference between
HEAD,GET,PUT,POST when it comes to request payload.

> Host: admin.grubbcontractors.com
>
> Connection: keep-alive

NP: this upload is just under 2MB.
Possible 32-bit wrap issue?

> Cache-Control: max-age=0
>
> Accept:
> text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,image/webp,*/*;q=0.8
>
> Origin: https://admin.grubbcontractors.com

> (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/36.0.1985.125 Safari/537.36

> Referer: https://admin.grubbcontractors.com/insert_bid2.cfm?id=48
>

> 2014/08/13 09:06:14.556| created HttpHeaderEntry 0x28f3f740: 'Via : 1.1
> localhost (squid/3.1.22)

This is bad. Your Squid public hostname being "localhost" is almost
guaranteed to cause problems with other servers.
 You need to setup the Squid machine such that its gethostname() OS
interface produces a proper Internet compliant hostname. As a workaround
Squid visible_hostname directive can be set to a FQDN, but that does not
fix any other software using the OS gethostname() API.

AMos