Re: [squid-users] unbound and squid not resolving SSL sites

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2014 10:37:42 +1200

On 21/08/2014 8:59 a.m., squid_at_proxyplayer.co.uk wrote:
> why are you using unbound for this at all?
>
> Well, we use a geo location service much like a VPN or a proxy.
> For transparent proxies, it works fine, squid passes through the SSL
> request and back to the client.
> For VPN, everything is passed through.
> But with unbound, we only want to pass through certain requests and some
> of them have SSL sites.
> Surely, there's a way to pass a request from unbound, and redirect it
> through the transparent proxy, returning it straight to the client?

I'm not sure what you mean, unbound is a DNS server it does not process
HTTP protocol at all. All it does is tell the client where the *web
server* for a domain is located. But the client only needs to know which
route to use.

With a client connecting over WAN through a proxy you have:
 client --WAN--> proxy --> Internet
 client <--WAN-- proxy <-- Internet
plus for non-proxied traffic:
 client --WAN--> Internet
 client <--WAN-- Internet

With a client connecting over a VPN you have:
 client --VPN--> proxy --> Internet
 client <--VPN-- proxy <-- Internet
plus for non-proxied traffic:
 client --VPN--NAT--> Internet
 client <--VPN--NAT-- Internet

in both above cases the gateway router receiving WAN or VPN traffic is
responsible for the NAT/TPROXY/WCCP interception.

What I've gathered so far is that you are trying to achieve one of these:

A)
 client --VPN--> proxy --> Internet
 client <--VPN-- proxy <-- Internet
plus for non-proxied traffic: