Re: [squid-users] Do I need ftp-proxy ?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 22:40:52 +0100

Squid is a HTTP proxy. HTTP proxies provides proxy services to HTTP
clients (i.e. web browsers). HTTP proxies provides the services HTTP,
FTP, Gopher and SSL when a browser is configured to use it as a proxy.
If you are doing transparent interception then the only service you can
intercept with a HTTP proxy is HTTP.

Squid is not a complete firewall or generic proxy solution. Other
protocols will require other proxies.

How to configure SuSe FTP proxy is outside the scope of this
mailinglist, but it is generally very simple. The transparent mode most
likely only works with Linux-2.2 and earlier kernels (needs some updates
for Linux-2.4), but the normal proxy mode should work just fine. See the
SuSe FTP proxy documentation for configuration and usage instructions.

Regards
Henrik Nordström
Squid Hacker