Re: [squid-users] squid + radius

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 10:44:10 +0100

On Monday 26 November 2001 10.24, subscriptions wrote:

> 1. is it possible to account per user connectivity using radius with squid
> ?

Not using Radius accounting, but the username is logged in Squid's access.log
for each and every request allowing you to do quite detailed accounting from
there.

> 2. What if a user open's new window ...means will squid ask for
> authentication on every internet explorer window, on the same computer 3.
> if any one is using such configuration.

Depends on the browser, but usually not.

See below for when Squid asks for authentication.

> 4 where can I get configuration help for radius with squid.

See the Squid FAQ on how to configure proxy authentication in general.

For Radius specific information, see the Squid radius helper documentation
(if there is any)

> is is practically possible to log uses time per client machine with the
> help of squid , or any other idea regarding that. Basically I am looking
> for per IP accounting solution.

Usage time is a muddy concept in HTTP. HTTP does only know what the user have
requested (html page, image, or whatever), when this was requested, and how
long the download took. On each such request the user logs in to the proxy.
There is no session, and consequently there is no "log out" either.. To save
the user from having to type his username+password on each and every request
browsers caches the login information in memory. How long or how the browser
caches the login information is browser dependent, and not something the
proxy can control.

Regards
Henrik Nordström

--