Re: [MEL-NAP] Putting AUIX local domains into squid

From: Daniel O'Callaghan <danny@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 16:00:29 +1000 (EST)

On Tue, 1 Apr 1997, Miguel A.L. Paraz wrote:

> > routing tables, and thus a separate squid-routed would be needed to
> > interrogate the tables on squid's behalf.
>
> I would propose a hook to easily allow an external process to allow
> the route computation. For your case you would want to query 'route',
> but, that would require a gated peering with your routers or somehow
> getting the route table info. I have suggested another solution.
> This is an oversimplification on network right now:

I later realised that it does not matter how the route gets into the
routing tables - it could be a bunch of static routes added at boot time.

Your description of .ph is pretty normal I think, however, using
traceroute is a bit kludgy. Even using ping and reading the ttl of the
return packet might be better. But my original idea was to get the list
of nets/ASNs from InterNIC and have some sort of munging to say return the
ASN of a given network. If you simply get the list and use it to stuff
static routes into your host routing tables, you can then use the
squid-routed, just the same as if you are using gated.

Danny