Re: How to interpret Cache-Control: no-cache="Set-Cookie"

From: Miguel A.L. Paraz <map@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 22:52:54 +0800 (HKT)

Hi,

Dean Gaudet wrote:

> Any statistics you have that would help this case would be appreciated.

I can poke through my logs - what kind of stats would you need?

> BTW I'm thinking of sending "Vary: User-Agent" on our .html pages since
> almost every one of them includes some conditional based on frames or
> whatnot.

Squid doesn't vary its caching according to Vary: just yet.
I'll look into this possibility (after my pending list of other Squid
TODO); hopefully other site operators would be cache friendly if
Hotwired will pull it off.

> (In fact I can be fine-grained enough to only add that header if
> certain conditionals are used.) Even this is kinda kludgy since it will
> artificially increase the number of copies that a 1.1 compliant cache
> would have to keep... I mean user-agent strings vary so much. It'd be way
> cool if I could say "varies only if it doesn't match the regexp
> '^Mozilla/[2-9]\.'".

What comes into mind here is something like a User-Agent "class".
Something like Old-Mozilla is 'Mozilla/1.*', Mozilla is what Dean
stated, IE is (whatever), and so forth. Then we vary according to these
classes. It is very unwieldy in the HTTP header to make all these
definitions; there should be some pre-agreed upon standard?

> I'm guessing based on Miguel's comments that this stuff is currently
> difficult to support in Squid.

Actually, I do not know how hard it is.

squid-dev folks, what does it involve, aside from generating the
keys (public, private?) based on the other 'variants'?

> But I'm willing to experiment with these
> things on the origin-side if someone wants to play with them in squid.
> Extensions to HTTP/1.1 probably wouldn't be accepted into Apache-core
> code, but I'm interested in maintaining a set of patches (against apache)
> to improve cache control.

I'll see what I can come up with... the push cache is calling first. :)

--
miguel a.l. paraz  <map@iphil.net>                              +63-2-893-0850
iphil communications, makati city, philippines          <http://www.iphil.net>