Re: update on 1.2

From: Dean Gaudet <dgaudet-list-squid-dev@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 11:34:50 -0800 (PST)

--MimeMultipartBoundary

For apache, the core developers have accounts on dev.apache.org. In
general everyone uses ssh instead of rsh to do remote CVS. Some folks us=
the cvs pserver, but that's generally just the folks using windows. The
machine doesn't allow remote rsh, for security reasons.

Our cvs repository has been configured so that whenever a commit is made =
message is mailed to apache-cvs@apache.org which includes the log message
and the diff of the commit. This is useful for knowing what's going on.=20
We stole the code from FreeBSD's repository. I can package it up if folk=
need it.=20

If you've never worked on a shared cvs tree I think you'll be pleasantly
surprised at how well it works. Even if two people are working on the
same file you can frequently get by without conflicts. CVS takes care of
merging automatically (which freaks out some people at first), and when i=
can't merge due to overlapping changes it will complain and you have to
help it. This is usually easy to work out.=20

I suggest a separate cvs module for each major revision. While CVS does
support branches, they're not exactly the best thing to work with. They
can be slow, especially on files which have a lot of revisions. We have =
module for apache-1.2 and apache-1.3.=20

Dean

On Tue, 20 Jan 1998, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> I agree on this. A shared CVS tree could help to speed up the developme=
nt
> cycle, especially when Duane has a lot of other things to attend to.
>=20
> Does anybody know how others maintain shared CVS trees? What to look ou=
> for and similar?
>=20
> ---
> Henrik Nordstr=F6m
>=20
> Anthony Baxter wrote:
>=20
> > Have you considered some sort of network-accessible CVS tree, similar=
> > many of the *BSD efforts? It just seems like that might be an easier =
way
> > to run things...
> >
> > Anthony
>=20