Re: update on 1.2

From: Daniel O'Callaghan <danny@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998 08:59:21 +1100 (EST)

--MimeMultipartBoundary

On Tue, 20 Jan 1998, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> I agree on this. A shared CVS tree could help to speed up the development
> cycle, especially when Duane has a lot of other things to attend to.
>
> Does anybody know how others maintain shared CVS trees? What to look out
> for and similar?

I'm on the FreeBSD commit team, so I guess I'm qualified to answer this.
As others have mentioned, FreeBSD maintains a machine which all committers
have access to, (ssh is encouraged). This machine is called
freefall.freebsd.org.

cvs is included in the base distribution of FreeBSD, and there is a
port/package for installing CVSup, which is an Internet updater of a CVS
tree. Most serious committers have the full FreeBSD sources in a local
tree on their own machines. When they want to do work, they checkout
modules from their local CVS tree. The local CVS tree is updated nightly
via CVSup from one of the CVS mirrors.

When the committer is happy with the changes s/he has just made, s/he
generates a diff, scp's the diff to his/her account on freefall, logs in
to freefall, checks out the module, applies the diff and commits the
changes. The FreeBSD commit messages record the changed files and give a
brief description; they don't include the diffs (unlike apache commits).

The various branches, HEAD, RELENG_2_2, RELENG_2_1 are committed to
separately. If a new feature is added, it is generally added to HEAD
first, and to RELENG_2_2 if it is appropriate after a settling in period.
Bugfixes are often committed HEAD and RELENG_2_2, and even RELENG_2_1
immediately.

cvs allows you to view a module's history of commits (with the given
descriptions) and to check out any previous version, thus, it is possible
to wind back the clock very easily.

If any of you have a FreeBSD system handy, just man cvs. I believe NetBSD
and OpenBSD also use cvs in much the same was as FreeBSD.

Danny

--MimeMultipartBoundary--