Re: update on 1.2

From: Dean Gaudet <dgaudet-list-squid-dev@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 15:13:14 -0800 (PST)

--MimeMultipartBoundary

Uh? remote cvs already exists. I'm not sure why freebsd does this in
such a backwards way.

To get an apache tree I set CVS_RSH=ssh (this is in my login scripts), and
then issue a command like this:

    cvs -d dev.apache.org:/export/home/cvs checkout apachen

>From then on whenever working in that tree it'll use the remote repository
via ssh. I can update code easily:

    cvs update

If I want a diff I can just type:

    cvs diff -u src/main/http_protocol.c

and if I want to commit something I just type:

    cvs commit -m 'note performance tweak in os_escape_path' src/CHANGES

The remote part happens behind the scenes.

The only place that CVSup helps all of this is that it's way more
efficient at getting read-only access to a repository. There are ways to
combine both cvs and cvsup to give you read-write access. But cvs out of
the box is not at all friendly at supporting them. Is this what you're
referring to?

Dean

On Tue, 20 Jan 1998, Alex Rousskov wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Jan 1998, Daniel O'Callaghan wrote:
>
> > When the committer is happy with the changes s/he has just made, s/he
> > generates a diff, scp's the diff to his/her account on freefall, logs in
> > to freefall, checks out the module, applies the diff and commits the
> > changes.
>
> So soon we will see a "Super-CVS" that will do this automitically. :) I am
> surprised that CVS (or CVSup) is not smart enough to do this efficiently.
>
> This is off-topic, of course: Nobody argues that CVS is good (and we are
> already using it)! The real question is how to coordinate our efforts, I
> guess. CVS cannot help if everybody is going in different, often
> contradictory, directions...
>
> Alex.

--MimeMultipartBoundary--