Re: Request number handling in squid 1.2

From: Stephen Baxter <steve@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 09:50:37 +0930 (CST)

> >But the code that has us scratching our heads is :
> >
> > method = header.reqnum >> 24;
> > /* Squid-1.1 doesn't use the "method bits" for METHOD_GET */
> > if (METHOD_NONE == method || METHOD_ENUM_END <= method)
> > method = METHOD_GET;
> >

> >is this the case, can anybody tell me if the request number is modified
> >(by altering the high or low bits) by squid other than to increment it on
> >a per ICP basis.
>
> Yes, this hideousness is my doing.
>
> It was originally put in to support TRACE requests. Squid needs (needed?)
> an ICP reply to have both method and URL. Both are needed to build a cache
> key.

Cool - thanks for the quick answer.
Do you have any more information on the 'method bits' that may help us ?

> I think I can rewrite some things and make the high-bit encoding stuff
> go away.

I would have though that the options and options data fields were ideal
for this type of thing - they seesm to be alot there not being used !

> Duane W.

Stephen Baxter SE Network Access/Big Networks Australia
phone : +61 8 8221 5221 222 Grote Street
fax : +61 8 8221 5220 Adelaide 5000, Australia