Re: Questions

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 22:53:52 +0100

Duane Wessels wrote:

> Theoretically we could probably stop swapping out an object if it
> becomes uncachable and there is only one client reading from it.
> Thats not supported right now.

In other words: A single request may fill the entire disk.

Yep. Squid 2.1.PRE2 does fill the disk on "push" objects that looks
cacheable..

And if quick_abort is disabled the situation is much worse: the disk
gets filled even if the client aborts, and this at the speed that Squid
can suck data from the net connection, completely filling the net
connection if it's from a fast server.

A interesting note was that when Squid detected that the disk got full
it shrank the cache size to close to nothing and removed the file, and
this without terminating the connection. I wonder what it is doing with
the data right now as it is neither sending it to a client nor storing
it on disk, but it is fetching a lot..

I think this should be fixed, but I have no idea on what to do if there
is more than one client..

/Henrik