Re: Squid-2.1.PATCH2: ident acl

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 08:25:34 +0100

Duane Wessels wrote:

> I can think of many DOS attacks with ident, not just this one.

What else?

The implementation only reads one packet so huge replies is not DOS a
problem. Fragmented replies may be a problem but ignored until someone
finds a ident server which sends the reply it more than one packet.

The lookup times out after read_timeout. This should be changed to
connect_timeout or a ident specific value. As you say the ident lookup
should have a much shorter timeout.

> I think its a risk the cache admin takes when the enable this
> option.

I don't agree in this thinking. ident does not need to be a riskful
operation.

> Much better ways of authentication exist, so I don't think
> we need to bend-over backwards making this one work ideally.

That is true, but not much is needed.

> For example, I would rather have an 'ident_timeout' option with
> a small default, like 10 seconds.

Even 10 seconds opens for DOS attack with ident_lookup on.

> I wonder if it would also work to have ACL-only ident lookups, but
> with a keyword like "ANY" so that if the lookup fails the request
> is still processed. That would really simplify things too.

That is an good idea, but won't solve the problem of not invoking
multiple ident lookups on the same connection.

Also, ident_lookup is needed to get ident lookups on bad/malformed
requests. This is to catch those idiots who telnet to the http port and
try to explore ways to abuse it for other uses but fail..