Re: Frequency-based replacement and store_avg_object_size

From: Dancer <dancer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 1999 23:57:32 +0000

Alex Rousskov wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Nov 1999, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
>
> > My vote would be to change Squid to dynamically reallocate the file map
> > based on how it is being used.
>
> Sure. I just was not aware that big changes are on the ballot. My vote
> would be to get rid of files and filemaps then. :)

Perhaps. :)I'm more in line with Henrik at the moment. Maybe we plan to make them dynamic first, and then perhaps replace the system with something better afterwards, if
we can think of something better.

Algorithm needs careful choice. We don't want to waste gobs of memory on an underutilised filemap, but neither do we want to spend lots of cycles walking it, or performing
frequent shrinking or expansion.