persistent connections and basic authentication

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2000 12:15:10 +1100

I think that the basic authentication code should short-circuit once a
connection has been authenticated once. It'll save a hash lookup & base 64
deciding at the minimum.

The NTLM code does this - it has to as IE only presents the NTLM auth header
while the connection is unauthenticated.

Does this conflict with rfc 2616 or 2617? or the http/1.0 specs?

If it doesn't conflict I'll put this into the NTLM tree (as I already have
the framework to do it with a single line :-])
If I get time I'll also submit a patch against HEAD.

I'm about to go read rfc 2616&7 again.

Rob