Re: more on auth_rewrite

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2000 02:15:14 +0100

Robert Collins wrote:

> Sooooo,
> Unless I hear screams by the saturday I will merge it back upto the ntlm
> tag. (Henrik do you have a script for that as well?)

Yes, I have a script meant to be used for merging one branch into
another: cvsmergeinit

From the ntlm working directory, run:

   cvsmergeinit auth_rewrite Z-auth_rewrite_merge_ntlm
   cvsmerge auth_rewrite

The use of the Z-auth_rewrite_merge_ntlm tag is to protect you from
accidently backing out changes from ntlm which has not yet been merged
into auth_rewrite. If you are 100% sure that auth_rewrite is fully up to
date wrt ntlm, then "cvsmergeinit auth_rewrite ntlm" can be used.

Please note that repeated two-way merging is not recommended. It might
work for a while, but sooner or later CVS will give you hairy merge
conflicts to deal with. So after merging into ntlm you should NOT run
"cvsmerge ntlm" in the auth_rewrite tree any longer.

As this is work not yet committed to the main sources you should
probably keep the auth_rewrite branch even after merging it into ntlm,
and also continue doing bugfixes and enhancements isolated to that code
there. But to avoid the issues mentioned about you should NOT run
cvsmerge inside auth_rewrite again, only in ntlm to merge changes from
auth_rewrite and HEAD.

/Henrik