Re: Vary, store interface

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 07:34:33 +0100

Robert Collins wrote (regarding ranges):

> Right. So somewhere in
> clientProcessRequest
> clientProcessRequest2
> clientProcessMiss
> clientCreateStoreEntry
> fwdStart
> fwdStartComplete
> fwdConnectStart
> fwdConnectDone
> fwdDispatch
> httpStart
> httpSendRequest

Not quite.. Was thinking more like the equivalent of storeClientCopy on
cache hits..

Today range processing is done on the client connection, but it should
be moved closer to the store with API's for both reading and adding
ranges to a given object, just as Vary should be done close to the store
with a consistent API for retreiving varians and addning new variants or
request->variant mappings.

Range merging however probably should go elsewhere as this needs to
modify the request sent. However, as we already agree that range merging
should only be performed based on a strong validator, much of the
complexity can be avoided by making use of If-Range when filling in
missing ranges, or If-Match if the client request was a range request
without If-Range... (in such case we have to discard the negative reply,
and re-forward the range request as a cache miss)

/Henrik