Re: cc optimisation levels ?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 14:46:08 +0100

Robert Collins wrote:

> I've just tracked down the problem reported by Grame on thursday
> to squid users on openbsd 2.8 as a -O2 issue with rfc1035.c

Details please:
  * Processor
  * Compiler, version, patchlevel
  * Compiler flags used
  * Symptoms

> Is there anything we can do in the code to allow higher
> optimisation levels?

Not much besides
a) When it is our fault, fix the code
b) When it is the compilers fault, either fix the compiler or change our
code to work around the bug.

> I think we should only pull the O level down for files that break -
> no need to reduce efficiency on the whole package.

Would be quite a mess to maintain, and if the compiler is found to fail
on one file, how does you know that it doesn't produce similar errors in
other files? It is not like we have an extensive test suite that makes
sure each line of code is tested...

/Henrik