Re: cc optimisation levels ?

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 21:47:35 +0800

On Sat, Jan 20, 2001, Robert Collins wrote:
> I've just tracked down the problem reported by Grame on thursday to squid users on openbsd 2.8 as a -O2 issue with rfc1035.c
>
> Is there anything we can do in the code to allow higher optimisation levels?

Its the same with FreeBSD users. We knew it was rfc1035.c a while back. :)
(I think there is a disucssion about it on squid-dev somewhere..)

> I think we should only pull the O level down for files that break - no need to reduce efficiency on the whole package.

Define "files that break". Under what OS? With what versions of what
compiler?

What does -O2 buy us speed-wise that -O doesn't? I dont think the
resultant binary size matters much (compared to how much RAM
squid needs to run.. :)

Personally, I think -O is enough right now, but I'd like to let
people experiment by modifying the optimisation level without needing
to tweak configure.

Adrian

--
Adrian Chadd			"Sex Change: a simple job of outside
<adrian@creative.net.au>	  to inside plumbing."