something has broken squid

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 00:12:41 +1000

I was just about to test run a new squid feature I've been working on,
when I found that squid cannot connect.

I am heading to bed now.. so I'm dropping details here in the hoep that
someone can confirm or deny the problem.

Symptoms: Squid cannot connect. The system returns
"1 Not Owner" as the error to squid.

This is with up-to-date CVS. It was working at Apr 5th (date of the
newest squid build I've got here that I positively remember
test-running. The failed squid is a binary that was working.

How to replicate:

install the squid-2.4prestable package from sourceware (I haven't
checked this, but as it's a binary failure, it should also fail).

Configure the squid-2.4 package (minimum requirements are to set the
effective_user and group (I use two

cache_effective_user Administrator
cache_effective_group users) and a DNS entry in /etc/resolv.conf or in
the squid.conf file itself. I run squid listnening on port 8080, the
default is 3128.

And I usually start squid interactively with squid -NDd9

Has anyone checked in code that alters access to sockets?

Rob