Re: PATCH: CygWin port enhancement - 2nd revision

From: Guido Serassio <serassio@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 20:55:22 +0200

Hi,

Il 10.27 16/08/2001 Henrik Nordstrom ha scritto:
>Robert Collins wrote:
>
> > That leaves a problem: How does the user specify "the default hosts file
> > for this machine".
>
>By not specifying the directive.
>
>What about this approach:
>
>The directive takes a list of possible paths, accepting the first found.
>
>For win32, the default is set to the two standard system locations,
>starting with the
>NT location.
>

>I don't see a problem in the win32 version first attempting to open the NT
>location of
>the file on Windows unless the user has removed this path from squid.conf.
>

>This approach requires some small addition to the cf.data.pre syntax and
>cf_gen to
>provide different defaults for different platforms, plus a slightly
>rewritten (but
>platform independent) routine for finding /etc/hosts
>
>--
>Henrik

Mumble ....

We have 3 different scenarios:

1) True *nix systems: host file can be only /etc/hosts, so default =
/etc/host is OK.

2) Native WIN32 systems: host file can be only on win system directory,
different between 9x and NT (Argh !!!), so a default is platform dependent.

3) CygWin systems: host file can be /etc/hosts or/and the same as native
WIN32, what default ?

Scenarios 1) and 2) can be resolved with a new "default" keyword, with
run-time platform recognition.

Scenario 3) Problems comes from the potential existance of 2 different host
file, but i think that this is a very big CygWin bug: static name
resolution on a system environment like CygWin MUST be ALWAYS univocal !
CygWin developers say "Unix use /etc/host, so we have our host file" ...
This is not a reason, now for example, if from a CygWin prompt I type ping
host.pippo.com (using Windows ping) or ssh host.ping.com (using CygWin ssh)
the statically resolved host may be different. This is WRONG.
So, as long this CygWin problem is unresolved, we must choice what default
host file to use, IMO, is better use the same of the OS, in Windows system
directory.

Guido

-
Serassio Guido
Via Albenga, 11/4 10134 - Torino - ITALY
Tel. : +39.011.610749
E-mail: serassio@interfree.it
         serassio@libero.it
WWW: http://www.serassio.it