Re: PATCH: CygWin port enhancement - 2nd revision

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 08:51:45 +1000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Guido Serassio" <serassio@libero.it>
To: "Henrik Nordstrom" <hno@hem.passagen.se>; "Robert Collins"
<robert.collins@itdomain.com.au>
Cc: <squid-dev@squid-cache.org>
Sent: Friday, August 17, 2001 4:55 AM
Subject: Re: PATCH: CygWin port enhancement - 2nd revision

> Hi,
>

> 3) CygWin systems: host file can be /etc/hosts or/and the same as
native
> WIN32, what default ?

for Cygwin, default to "/etc/hosts
%systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts %systemroot%\hosts.txt" IIRC
that covers NT and 9x in one go.

> Scenario 3) Problems comes from the potential existance of 2 different
host
> file, but i think that this is a very big CygWin bug: static name
> resolution on a system environment like CygWin MUST be ALWAYS univocal
!
> CygWin developers say "Unix use /etc/host, so we have our host file"

Actually we don't :]. The cygwin gethostbyname is a trivial wrapper
around the win32 equivalent call. That uses the WIN32 hosts.txt file.
Thus /etc/hosts is a symlink to the real hosts.txt.

> This is not a reason, now for example, if from a CygWin prompt I type
ping
> host.pippo.com (using Windows ping) or ssh host.ping.com (using CygWin
ssh)
> the statically resolved host may be different. This is WRONG.

This can only occur if a user has deliberately chosen to have that
happen.

> So, as long this CygWin problem is unresolved, we must choice what
default
> host file to use, IMO, is better use the same of the OS, in Windows
system
> directory.

Errm, if we do that I don't think we'll cause problems, but I suspect we
will get at least 1 bug report on that that we wouldn't otherwise have
gotten :].