Re: PATCH: CygWin port enhancement - 2nd revision

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 09:53:04 +0200

Guido Serassio wrote:

> We have 3 different scenarios:
>
> 1) True *nix systems: host file can be only /etc/hosts, so default =
> /etc/host is OK.

True.

> 2) Native WIN32 systems: host file can be only on win system directory,
> different between 9x and NT (Argh !!!), so a default is platform dependent.

And as Squid assigns default values at build time and documents the default in
squid.conf, this is a big problem unless you are willing to accept different
builds for NT and Windows, or to have a default list of different paths covering
the variants of the platform.

> Scenarios 1) and 2) can be resolved with a new "default" keyword, with
> run-time platform recognition.

True, but I don't like to have paths hardcoded into Squid, and I'd like to keep
the feature of having default values automatically documented in squid.conf to
match the build.

> Scenario 3) Problems comes from the potential existance of 2 different host
> file, but i think that this is a very big CygWin bug:

As far as I am concerned, the problem is mainly the difference between NT and 9X.
For CygWin it is acceptable to say that for /etc/hosts to be read by Squid you
must either
 a) Set up a symlink in /etc/hosts
 b) Configure hosts_file to match the Windows version
but for a native WIN32 port, the default should be found automatically, and it
should be shown how in the configuration.