Re: logd vs. Polygraph

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: 22 Aug 2001 14:11:19 +1000

On 21 Aug 2001 22:52:05 -0500, Joe Cooper wrote:
> Interesting results:
>
> Squid+logd access.log:
> [root@zope squid-logd]# wc -l /var/log/squid/access.log
> 331763 /var/log/squid/access.log
>
> cachemgr info:
> Number of HTTP requests received: 698836
>
> Polygraph:
> 215.24| got 646166 xactions and 0 errors
>
> This strikes me a bit odd... I won't say logd is losing entries, but
> I'm perplexed if it isn't. Note that the higher number in mgr output is
> due to me not restarting Squid between the time I realized I had
> forgotten to zero the access log--so I zeroed the log and restarted the
> test without restarting Squid. But it does look like about half, but
> not quite, half of the requests are disappearing.

Ouch. I wonder if squid is swallowing them itself (it has to keep the
log pipe open to replace the log helper seamlessly.) I need to look into
the select/poll stuff in more detail - unless Henrik or Adrian have any
insight. (We open the fds using pipe(), then don't do anything with them
other than pass them to the log helper. One of the ends gets marked as
ipc.)

> I'll give it another go at a much lower request rate to see if it is a
> load activated problem.

Rob