Re: Automake suggestion

From: Guido Serassio <serassio@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2001 12:21:13 +0200

Hi,

Il 11.34 02/09/2001 Robert Collins ha scritto:
>On 02 Sep 2001 11:25:53 +0200, Guido Serassio wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Some suggestions for an easy Squid development using automake:
> >
> > - add a check for installed automake & autoconf version on bootstrap.h.
>
>There's little point in checking for installed versions - the script
>will fail anyway. However I will add a failure message, rather than the
>silent fail that occurs now. I'll also add a version pre-req so that the
>correct automake is used - this will result in a more meaningful error.

I "discovered" this before the previous mail ....

> > - add on http://www.squid-cache.org/Devel/guidelines.html the reference to
> > the MINIMAL tools version required from Squid project.
>
>Good point. The autoconf version needed is 2.13. There are some errors
>in the type checking code that prevent 2.52 being used AFAIK. The
>automake version is 1.5, which IIRC is available via setup.exe for
>cygwin.

I just upgraded all, but testing the new compiling process I have still
some problems on Cygwin branch: size of generated scr\Makefile.in is 4.10
MB ..... and Makefile is 598 KB.
All substitutions seem to be right and Squid compiles without error.
I'm using autoconf 2.52 (needed by AC_API_WIN32), can be this the origin of
the problems ?
If no, can You check if something is wrong, I just "cvsmerged" Cygwin branch.

Thanks

Guido

>Rob

-
Serassio Guido
Via Albenga, 11/4 10134 - Torino - ITALY
Tel. : +39.011.610749
E-mail: serassio@interfree.it
         serassio@libero.it
WWW: http://www.serassio.it