Re: Multiple Questions?

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: 02 Sep 2001 23:05:01 +1000

On 02 Sep 2001 08:40:39 +0100, khaled mobayed wrote:
> Hello

My answer here are for 2.4 and before only.

> I want to know how does Squid 2.4 accepts a user request for the first
time -before being authenticated- is it by the user IP, and is there any
chance that I could add more information so I could know the user before
its authentication request is passed to the authentication scheme?

I'm not sure what you mean. Each request is stored in a request
structure in memory, and as acls are tested against it various extra
information is added - ie username.

> Is there is a session concept in Squid 2.4, and if any exists when
does it begin and when does it end?

Yes, it exists per tcp connection. No cookie style session can be used,
because squid is a proxy, not the origin server.

> When and how does Squid consider a user authentiacted and for how
long, and when he had to re-authenticate?

When the browser provides a proxy_authentication header with valid
credentials, and for the duration of that single request. There is a
simple cache of user credentials used to cache valid
proxy_authentication headers to prevent overuse of the external helper.

Rob