Re: Squid-2.5

From: Andres Kroonmaa <andre@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 12:48:51 +0200

On 2 Oct 2001, at 20:40, Adrian Chadd <adrian@squid-cache.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 02, 2001, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> >
> > I propose we branch Squid-2.5 real soon now and make a official
> > PRE-STABLE release, or is there any known issues that must be addressed
> > first?

 Its been on table I think, 2.5 should provide more detail itself when
 people report bugs. configure options comes to mind first. Its increasingly
 hard to diagnose source of problems when people use precompiled binaries.
 Looking at bugtraq entries, most of the time you want to ask what compile
 options were used, what cc, what platform, etc. Perhaps some kind of
 tech-support cachemgr page could be added?
 But that could be also added after pre-stable I guess.

> > During the last months the activity in Squid-2.5 has mostly been bug
> > fixes and small cleanups. I don't think we will gain much in continuing
> > doing this much longer. The code is the way it is, and until it receives
> > a broader testing I don't think many new problems will be discovered.
> >
> > Sure, there is some of a backlog of known problems registered in
> > Bugzilla for both HEAD and Squid-2.4. Any help in trying to clean some
> > of those up is highly appreciated. There is today a total of 82 open
> > bugzilla entries.
> >
> > http://www.squid-cache.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED
>
> Ok, I'll take a look at closing up some of these.

 Actually, what does cleanup mean? After browsing some of these,
 it looks there is quite abit of garbage in there.

> I'd really, really like people to consider putting in the tosrcaddacl
> and the chunked_mempools branches into squid-2.5 before testing,
> as I'd like those tested.

 Henrik, do I understand it right, that chunked_mempools can be
 considered to be merged to HEAD after 2.5 is branched?

 I'd like to see more attention to coss.

> Are there any build issues with squid-HEAD atm? sh bootstrap.sh ;
> ./configure .. should work, right?

 It works. I only had few OS-specific troubles.
 Also, version requirements and procedures should be documented better.

 Andres Kroonmaa <andre@online.ee>
 CTO, Microlink Online
 Tel: 6501 731, Fax: 6501 725
 Pärnu mnt. 158, Tallinn,