2.5 profiling

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 18:13:40 -0700

Hi all,

Just throwing some squid-2.5 testing at the list.

I'm currently running squid-2.5 (the 2001-11-20 snapshot) on
a Linux 2.4.12 kernel, and putting it through some of its paces.

So far, running aufs, squid-2.5 has been able to hold up an 80req/sec
load (on a celeron 500). Any more than 80req/sec and I flatline the CPU
and cause squid to go into spiralling sudden death, but that may
also be due to the restricted CPU in my (current) polygraph testing
machine. I'll try it from a faster machine today.

My config options were --enable-dlmalloc --with-pthreads --enable-storeio=
  "ufs aufs null" --enable-linux-netfilter

I'm running reiserfs as the cache partitions.

I'll keep my eye on the memory usage to see whether it flattens
out or there there may be memory leaks.

When trying squid + diskd on an (untuned) IRIX 6.5.13 install, I managed
to convince it to die with a non-useful gdb stack trace. I was killing
the SYSV stuff, causing lots of sysv-related errors in the cache.log .
I'll have to research that one a little more before I'm happy with it.
I currently can't debug the squid-aufs code under irix, as gdb doesn't
do threaded applications at all. I'll do a trial run in a couple of days.

I'll keep the list posted on the results of this testing.

Adrian