Re: 2.5 profiling

From: Grahame Bowland <grahame@dont-contact.us>
Date: 22 Nov 2001 11:26:32 +0800

On Thu, 2001-11-22 at 09:13, Adrian Chadd wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Just throwing some squid-2.5 testing at the list.
>
> I'm currently running squid-2.5 (the 2001-11-20 snapshot) on
> a Linux 2.4.12 kernel, and putting it through some of its paces.
>
> So far, running aufs, squid-2.5 has been able to hold up an 80req/sec
> load (on a celeron 500). Any more than 80req/sec and I flatline the CPU
> and cause squid to go into spiralling sudden death, but that may
> also be due to the restricted CPU in my (current) polygraph testing
> machine. I'll try it from a faster machine today.
>
> My config options were --enable-dlmalloc --with-pthreads --enable-storeio=
> "ufs aufs null" --enable-linux-netfilter
>
> I'm running reiserfs as the cache partitions.
>
> I'll keep my eye on the memory usage to see whether it flattens
> out or there there may be memory leaks.
>
> When trying squid + diskd on an (untuned) IRIX 6.5.13 install, I managed
> to convince it to die with a non-useful gdb stack trace. I was killing
> the SYSV stuff, causing lots of sysv-related errors in the cache.log .
> I'll have to research that one a little more before I'm happy with it.
> I currently can't debug the squid-aufs code under irix, as gdb doesn't
> do threaded applications at all. I'll do a trial run in a couple of days.
>
> I'll keep the list posted on the results of this testing.

We ran squid HEAD on our main proxy server for a couple of days. We did
discover that it grew in memory usage to approximately 460Mb instead of
the normal 250Mb, and continued to grow until we restarted it.

./configure --enable-async-io=128 --enable-removal-policies
--enable-poll --enable-underscores --enable-delay-pools --enable-snmp

We do have some patches todo with the delay pools code, but there is no
way they are causing a memory leak and 2.4-STABLE2 with the same patch
set doesn't exhibit the problem.

I'm more than happy to debug this if someone will give me hints how :)

--
Grahame Bowland                      Email: grahame@ucs.uwa.edu.au
University Communications Services   Phone: +61 8 9380 1175